Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Miller High Life 1 Second Commercials – Comments

I have a couple comments in regards to Dr. Kambara’s blog posting on the 1 second Miller High Life commercials.

First of all, I really hate Miller High Life and it’s not because I tossed my cookies after drinking a six pack when I was in high school. Ok, that’s why I hate Miller High Life.

I really need to question the effectiveness of these types of commercials. I realize the attention span of the general consumer towards advertising is getting shorter and shorter, but 1 second commercials just don’t provide enough time to send an effective message.

As in the Miller High Life commercials, a large product logo in the background does provide the minimum product connection, but still no time for an effective message. If product advertisers really need to take this route in the future, I would say 3-5 seconds would be enough to boldly display the product name or actual product and time to verbalize one key value proposition.

I offer a technology suggestion to future television advertisers who are looking for a way to combat clutter busters who use Tivo or DVR to quickly fast forward through commercials. Include some sort of product logo ghost image that is hidden when commercials are run at normal speed, but appears when the commercials are run in fast forward mode. At least the commercial is not a total waste and the consumer does see a product logo. I see this as the future of 1 second television commercials.

No comments: